During the Summer holiday many children and young people will be using social media platforms, whether TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, WhatsApp or something else entirely.
Each platform can be used safely with just a few precautions.
Each social media platform has a set of rules which set out how they expect users to behave on their platform.
Some examples of guidelines are:
- Do not create material that intends to harass, bully or upset people
- Do not create material that is discriminatory against someone’s age, race, religion, gender, sexuality or disability
- Do not promote or share sexually explicit material
- If someone blocks you, do not contact them from another account
- Do not share another person’s private information
- Do not encourage dangerous behaviour or violence
Check out some other great resource from the UK Safer Internet Centre with advice for your favourite apps, to understand the terms and conditions for using each platform:
- Tiktok – TikTok has created a series of 30 second “You’re In Control” videos to explain what you can and can’t do on their platform.
- Snapchat – Snapchat notes that snaps disappear but a friend may have taken a screenshot
- Instagram – Instagram created a guide for parents and is also now dedicating a huge portion of the Safety centre efforts to reduce cyberbullying
- WhatsApp – WhatsApp explains how to enable two-step verification to keep your account safe
On behalf of the Securus Team, we hope you have an enjoyable Summer!